Today, there is a wide variety of slot machines.
The most common slot machines
- Single coin slot machines: these allow you to insert, each time, a single coin, hence their name. Nowadays, it is difficult to find them in casinos. In addition, they offer less RTP than those that emerged later.
- Multiplier slot machines: they accept more than one coin and, moreover, their RTP varies according to the amount entered. Moreover, the same applies to the prizes, which are distributed proportionally.
- Buy-A-Pay slot machines: they accept between 1 and 5 coins at a time. This marks the number of combinations that can give access to the prize. For example, it is possible that one of these slot machines, in the case of playing with only one coin, will only award the prize if a combination of three bars is formed in line. On the other hand, if one more is inserted, it will also pay out if three cherries appear.
- Multi-payline slot machines: Traditional slot machines used to have only one payline. However, these increase the chance of winning by including three or five paylines. However, you have to insert an additional coin for each payline you want to play on.
- Joker slot machines: These are probably the most fun and entertaining slot machines. They also offer the possibility of accessing very high jackpots. This is because, when a joker appears on one of the lines, which acts as the figure of your choice, it is possible to multiply your winnings by two, three or even five.
- Progressive slot machines: these are the ones that allow you to get a bigger prize, as they accumulate in their jackpot a percentage of the bets made by the previous players.
- Multi-game slot machines: these are the most modern ones. They offer the possibility of enjoying several games without having to change machines and without affecting the RTP.
- Reel slots: these are undoubtedly the most popular. The player inserts a coin and, by means of a mechanical or electronic mechanism, spins an odd or even number of reels trying to form combinations of figures that allow him to obtain the prize.
From this information, you will be able to identify the different types of slot machines that you can find in the casino and, furthermore, you will be able to choose the one that gives you the best chances of winning and the one that gives you the most fun.
Can Slot Machines Be Rigged?
Every now and then, news reports appear that someone has been caught or arrested for manipulating slot machines in a casino to win every time. Likewise, we have all heard that there are ways of knowing exactly when the winnings are going to come out. These are the most common:
Coin trick: supposedly, the player would insert a coin held by a string into the machine. Once it was detected by the machine’s sensors, the credit would appear on the screen and the player only had to pull the string to retrieve it. Today, slot machines have non-return systems that prevent the coin from being retrieved once it has passed through the entry hole.
Altering the size of the banknotes: this option was only available for those machines that accepted, in addition to coins, banknotes, as is obvious. The trick was to take a $5 note and then, by cutting out another note of the same value, give it the shape of a $50 note so that the machine would recognise it. However, slot machine manufacturers nowadays incorporate sensors that identify the type of paper and the position of the holographic security symbols.
Measuring the temperature of the machine and inserting cold coins: the theory was that the temperature of the machine would rise when it was close to hitting the jackpot, and that by inserting a pre-cooled coin, the chances of hitting the jackpot would increase even more. This is completely unfounded.
Emptying the coin hopper with an electric lighter: there was supposedly a time when the sparks from the electric lighters disturbed the electromagnetic fields of the slot machine reels. This quickly emptied the coin hopper and the player took home the jackpot. However, today’s machines are equipped with protection systems against such impulses. Moreover, it is not as easy as the theory goes, as a simple cigarette lighter would not be powerful enough to disrupt the operation of the device in any case.
Beyond that, the only way to tamper with a slot machine would be to alter its software. However, this is an impossible mission for the vast majority of users and, moreover, the major manufacturers and developers know how to protect themselves against this.
Therefore, in conclusion, there are tips and tricks to maximise the chances of winning a prize when playing slots. However, there is no human way to manipulate them. And, if you do, you should be aware that you are committing a crime that carries a prison sentence as it is an action considered a scam.